SOFTWARE & HARDWARE FOR THE SEO + Social Media Strategist
(UPDATED October, 2017) - Things change. My March, 2017 "social media photographer gear" article was live for no more than a few weeks when I dramatically changed my setup and workflow. So, let's do this. I'll post change-related blog posts when I make big changes to my set up, but my current list of gear and software will live here and I'll just link to this page anytime I refer to my gear or software in my articles.
HARDWARE & SOFTWARE TOOLS I AM CURRENTLY USING
This is the current gear I use on a day-to-day basis for my social media work. While my flirtation with Windows Pro 10 is over (for now), I have adjusted my workflow enough that I can now make the move to Windows quickly and painlessly if necessary.
The items on this list have been tested in real-world situations on real jobs. This is the gear and the software I currently use to deliver award-winning SEO and social media marketing results to my clients. I focus on being efficient with my hardware/software budget which is not the same as being frugal. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of work I produce for the sake of saving a few dollars. However, I don't want to throw money away needlessly either. So, I work hard to get the tools I need versus the ones I want. How does this manifest itself? Well, all my content is delivered in 1080p HD. Therefore I don't need a camera that shoots video in 4k and that will not be a feature that I'm in the least bit concerned about when I select a camera for a project.
I'm also focused on getting my workflow and hardware/software set up optimized so I can get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible with the lightest footprint possible. This means scaling back not only the hardware, but the number of programs I use to get my daily work done.
As always, everything on this list is highly recommended by me personally.
Computers / Mobile
- Late 2015 Apple Retina 5k, 27-inch iMac (2TB HD, 3.3 GHz i5, 32GB RAM) w/ two 27-inch Apple Cinema Displays, a daskeyboard DPK13 backlit mechanical keyboard, & Logitech G Pro mouse. (See image above)
- Apple iPadPro 9.7 (256 GB)
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus (256GB)
CAMERAS & Gear
- Fujifilm X100F cameras
- DJI Spark drone
- Cinetics Cinemoco & Edelkrone sliders
- Domke bags & Pelican cases
- Heliumcine iPhone Rigs with Moondog Labs Lenses
- Manfrotto ball heads, tripods, monopods, stands, & lights
- Rode & Sennheiser microphones
- Creative - Apple FCPX, Filmic Pro, JPEGmini, Luminar, Nik Silver Efx Pro, PhotoMill, Quik, Snapseed, Tonalty, & VSCO.
- Development - Coda, Filemaker Pro, MAMP Pro, SQL Pro for MySQL, Visual Studio for Mac, Xcode, Xojo
- Marketing - AHREFs, Authority Spy, Bright Local, Hootsuite, MailChimp, SEO Powersuite, SEM Rush, & Spyfu